ATTENTION: SOCIOLOGY AND CRIMINAL JUSTICE STUDENTS
ARE YOU GRADUATING IN MAY?
What is Commencement? What is Convocation?
Commencement is our larger event where the students process onto the field at the Delaware Stadium, degrees are conferred by the President of the University, the graduating students are acknowledged by College, the commencement speaker delivers his/her address, and several notable recipients are awarded honorary degrees. This is the only time when the entire graduating class is brought together.
Convocation is the smaller ceremony where students are individually recognized by their college or department and each graduating student walks across the stage to receive his/her graduation certificate.
The Department of Sociology and Criminal Justice Convocation is a special event. We strongly encourage you and your family/friends to attend.
Note: When a student graduates with a double major, he or she may choose to attend both convocations if time permits, or just one. It is not necessary to attend a convocation for a minor. None of the events are mandatory, but most students attend as many as they can. We strongly encourage you to attend the Department Convocation if you can, if not then attend the Commencement.
Commencement website: www.udel.edu/commencement
Everything you need to know will be on this website.
6:00 a.m. Parking lots open
7:00 a.m. Gates Open
7:30 a.m. Recommended time for students to arrive
8:20 a.m. Student Processional begins
9:00 a.m. Ceremony begins
All degree candidates should arrive no later than 7:30 a.m. and should proceed immediately to the procession line–up area next to the Delaware Field House and north of Delaware Stadium. Only degree candidates, in regalia, will be allowed in the line–up area; guests should proceed to Delaware Stadium. The procession into Delaware Stadium will begin promptly at 8:20 a.m.
- Instructions for arrival, line-up, and procession at Delaware Stadium
- Graduation Checklist for students
- Lodging, parking/shuttles, and Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Orders for Academic Regalia, Announcements, etc.
- Accommodations at Delaware Stadium:
- Tickets are not required for general seating at Delaware Stadium.Tickets are required for reserved seating for persons with disabilities and the elderly only. The form to request tickets can be found on the website under the 'Special Needs" section. Link to www.udel.edu/commencement
- First Aid – EMTs will be on site. Please contact UD Public Safety 302-831-2222 or 911 for emergency assistance.
- Rain Plan – In the event of severe weather, the Commencement ceremony will be abbreviated. However, in the event of an abbreviated Commencement ceremony, all Convocation ceremonies will still begin at the scheduled time.
DEPARTMENT OF SOCIOLOGY AND CRIMINAL JUSTICE
Schedule: The Department Convocation ceremony is from 12:30 p.m. – 1:30 p.m. in the North Tent on the Green located between Gore Hall and DuPont Hall. The ceremony should last about 1 hour. It is recommended that you arrive 1 hour prior to the beginning of the ceremony.
Parking: General parking lots are available to everyone and have LIMITED NUMBERS of designated handicapped spaces. Handicapped parking lots are available only to those with handicapped or disabled veteran plates, placards, decals, or hang tags.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQs) FOR
1. The time I am expected to arrive?
11:30 a.m. is recommended.
2. Where should I report? Come to Gore Hall for the processional to the ceremony in the North Tent on the Green between Gore Hall and DuPont Hall for Department Convocation.
3. Ordering Regalia for graduation.Regalia to be worn at graduation MUST be purchased at the Barnes and Noble UD Bookstore at 83 East Main St., Newark, DE. Degree candidates planning to attend the ceremony in May 2017 need to order their commencement materials by April 10, 2017. Should you miss the online ordering date, you need to come to the Barnes and Noble UD Bookstore Monday – Friday 9.00 a.m. – 7.00 p.m., Saturday 10.00 a.m. – 7.00 p.m., and Sunday 12.00 p.m. – 6.00 p.m. Sizes can become limited the closer to Commencement, so please plan ahead. See link below.https://sites.udel.edu/commencement/general-information
4. Should I be dressed in cap and gown or is there a place for me to get dressed? You should come in your cap and gown. The restrooms are available in Gore for the Department Convocation.
5. Is there a storage area for personal belongings or should I leave items with a guest? We suggest you leave any personal items with one of your guests.
6. Is there a reception before/after the ceremony? There is no reception or additional events after Convocation.
7. Any special instructions for guests? Requests should be handled by the Office of Vice President and University Secretary (302-831-2113) and the Office of Disability Support Services for assistance (302-831-4643), or Department of Sociology and Criminal Justice (302-831-2581).
8. Parking information: For the Department Convocation, General Parking lots are available to everyone and have LIMITED NUMBER of designated handicapped spaces. Handicapped parking lots are available only to those with handicapped or disabled veteran plates, placards, decals, or hang tags.
9. Lodging: There are several hotels close by the University of Delaware Campus that can accommodate you for the Commencement and Convocation ceremony. Please see the General Information page on the UD Commencement website.
10. Shuttle: Please click onto the link below to see which routes the shuttle buses are running for Graduation.
11. More detailed FAQs can be found at the following link.
If you have any questions, please call the Department of Sociology and Criminal Justice at 302-831-2581.