Skip to Main Content
Sign In

Graduate FAQs

Image Picker for Section 0

Do you have Fall and Spring Admission?

No, only Fall admission

What is the deadline for admission?

January 3rd

What are the areas of study within the Sociology/Criminology program?

  • Gender
  • Health
  • Race
  • Disasters and the Environment
  • Methods/Statistics
  • Theory
  • Criminology
  • Deviance
  • Law & Society

What do I need to submit with the application?

Application (available online), Transcripts, Three letters of recommendation. TOEFL scores (for international students) and Statement of Objectives.

Application Process Update:  Due to COVID-19, the department is waiving the GRE requirement for our graduate program this year. If you wish to apply without a GRE score, please enter a future GRE exam date into the application when prompted. This need not be an actual exam date. Entering any future date will allow your application to be sent on to our review committee where it will receive full consideration. Reporting your scores is entirely optional. If you chose to not submit a GRE score, this will have no bearing on the competitiveness of your application. If you have any questions regarding this process, email (contact person,

Do first year international students get financial aid?

Yes, if they have a TOEFL score of at least 600 paper-based, 250 computer-based and 100 IBT based.

Does financial aid cover tuition and living expenses?

Yes, if you receive a teaching or research assistantship from our department then your tuition is paid in full and you will get a competitive stipend for living expenses.

I've submitted my electronic application. Where should I mail official transcripts?

Do not mail official transcripts during the applicant stage. If your department of interest indicates to the central office that they have an interest in offering you admission, the central office will insert the appropriate conditions for verifying your documents. The Office of Graduate and Professional Education will call into question the veracity of any document submitted to our office. We regularly verify transcripts with the issuing institution. If any material is found to have been altered or falsified in the finalization process, we reserve the right of expulsion.

Where do I send the three letters of recommendation?

Your application is done entirely online. Your recommender will receive an email stating how to upload their letter into our application system. If they experience any problems uploading their letter, they should login to their instructional webpage, there is a link on the upper right hand side called "Need Help?". This is their link for technical support. If needed, they can submit their letter to technical support and they will upload the letter for your recommender.

Do you offer a M.A. or Ph.D.?

We offer a M.A. and a Ph.D. in Sociology and Criminology

How long does it take to complete the program?

Entering with a B.A. or B.S., 2 years for the M.A., and an additional 3 years for the Ph.D. Entering with a M.A. or M.S. , four years for Ph.D.

Do you offer long distance learning in the graduate program?

No, unfortunately at this time we do not offer long distance learning.

Do you offer a part-time program for people who work fulltime?

No, we do not offer a part-time program. You can take up to nine credits through the Continuing Education Dept., then after you are admitted into the program, you must complete 1 full semester before you can petition the Graduate Policy Committee to have those credits transferred.

Do you have to be accepted into the program to take courses?

No. You can take nine credits through our Continuing Education program and have them transferred into the program after you apply and you get accepted.

How much does it costs per credit hour?

Please click    for tuition and related fees. (subject to yearly change)

Do you have an accelerated Masters program allowing BA/BS students to take graduate classes that count toward their MA/MS?

No. We do not have an accelerated program that allows BA/BS students to take graduate classes that count toward their MA/MS degree.

Do you have an alternative Masters program?

No, we do not have an alternate program.

Should you have any further questions, please email us.

Graduate home page

Page Settings and MetaData:
(Not Shown on the Page)
Page Settings
Graduate FAQs
MetaData for Search Engine Optimization
Graduate FAQs
  • Department of Sociology and Criminal Justice
  • 322/325 Smith Hall, 18 Amstel Avenue, Newark DE 19716, USA
  • Phone: 302-831-2581 Fax: 302-831-2607
  • Email:¬†
  • For Web Questions:¬†